Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Courage and Love at "The Great Divide"

"Let's live in the moment. Come back Sunday morning."

By Austin T. Murphy

The first thing I saw when I woke up on Friday morning. Pure bliss.

One of the best analogies I've found to describe the impossibility of explaining sight to the blind and similar is Plato's "Allegory of the Cave." Unless you have seen the light you can never understand the beauty and warmth and value of embracing aspects of the world.

In the past I have returned from trips and adventures with inspiration and joy, and though this time I don't differ, I have arrived at what feels the most like a crossroads, a bridge, a choice, a parting of the ways. And fear not, this is not in regards to anyone in my life. I love all of my friends wholeheartedly (and I would even like to believe I've been able to repair some damage), but rather this is in regards to the world and strangers and those whose lives I impact on a regular basis.

It has been a long time since I first came to understand that social stratification is unavoidable. The world depends on classes in order to sustain modern economies. I don't want to sound aristocratic or Machiavellian; it's just reality. There are invisible barriers in place that will more than likely prevent me from ever becoming one of the 1% -- barring miracles and luck, movement along the ladder of social structure is heavily guarded.

And therein lies my conundrum. Do I continue to endorse capitalism, do we continue to push successful individuals to strive for greatness, to seek their just rewards, to reach beyond what were previously thought of as human limits? Or do we lower ourselves to the plight of the lesser individuals? Do I sacrifice innovation and achievement to try to help those who do not want help or cannot appreciate help?

This is where the "Allegory of the Cave" rings truer than ever, but in place of the Sun we have the idea of bettering oneself and station. How dare I intrude upon someone's right to live in squalor [and shame]? Is it not their human right to deny progression and set our species back millenia?

[In case you didn't catch it, that was sarcasm.]

It seems absolutely beyond logic that there can be so many people in the world living in ignorance of how fucking amazing experiences can be. Like there are actually millions of people who woke up this morning and are having a miserable day...and yet this past Sunday was arguably the greatest day of my life so far. And it only gets better....

Believe me, I don't take any of this for granted. I am beyond lucky and privileged; what I have experienced is not typical of the modern human. I -- we -- are the exception, not the rule.

So then knowing that we have been granted privileges typically reserved for the select few, is it not more noble to strive to push our own boundaries? How do we find that happy balance that allows us to help others without sacrificing our spirit and hope, to persevere in light of cancerous apathy and ignorance?

---

To be fair I don't expect to figure it all out any time soon. We have years...decades. I think maybe we just have to keep progressing, keep moving forwards with clear eyes and open hearts. Trust that the captain will deliver you safely to shore.

The daily struggle is to find that compassion necessary to tolerate slothfulness and glutinous mediocrity. Those with privileges have to find a way to guide our counterparts away from oblivion. Each day is different and not many are easy, but in the words of Samuel L. Jackson, "I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd."

At this point, I'd like to comment briefly on just the incredulity within me that such a positive experience like this past weekend is possible. My favorite songs would probably have to be "Live in the Moment" from Portugal. the Man, "Firestone" from Kygo, "Strangest Things" from The War on Drugs, "The Great Divide" by Magic Giant, and "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem. By god Skylar Grey looked like an angel, Alison Wonderland proved to be batshit crazy in the best way, and ODESZA did what they usually do -- seize my heart and enact chaos.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to keep moving forward with my crystal eyes and earnest heart, and I'll try to approach every situation and person with the same compassion with which so many people -- friends and strangers alike -- showed me this weekend. That is likely the best advice I can offer anyone right now; believe in the best in people.

And for the love of everything sacred, get out of your own head space and hometown. The world is too big to hide from it.

Lastly, to my friends: I love all of you. I consider myself to be the luckiest man on earth because of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment