Search This Blog

Friday, January 5, 2018

Courage and Love in the Arizona Desert III (Return of the Gnaw)

For the record "The Last Jedi" sucked but I'm hard to please

Photo Credit: The Star Wars franchise

Imagine my chagrin when I came back here fully intent on writing a passage devoted to our third trip to Decadence, only to find that the one I wrote last year has a title completely unrelated to Star Wars or a trilogy. Therefore this summative passage will have to serve the purpose of a bookend and reinforcement of a trilogy ideology -- and know that if I had titled last year's write-up properly it would read "Courage and Love in the Arizona Desert II (The Ecstasy Strikes Back)."

*And the inaugural passage would include the parenthetical title (A New Fam).*

It feels like a fitting passage to write at this specific moment in time while I'm watching Scrubs re-runs and the current episode is about J.D. leaving Sacred Heart. Super emotional, much montage.

I must also confess myself guilty of not fulfilling my previous inclination when I said I would be setting up a SoundCloud for all my crappy recordings. This was a real ambition, but I just sat down to record an acoustic cover of Coheed & Cambria's "The Suffering" and found myself cringing as I listened to it after. Maybe I will get around to it eventually, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it will likely still take some time to find the courage to just upload some originals and let it be.

In the meantime you can peruse my friend Temme Scott's SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/temmescott. She's gonna be famous someday, mark my words.

What is there to say about a third trip to the desert? What is there to glean from the experience?

I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is the truth that things do change. What seems to be irresponsible, naive debauchery at the start turns out to be a more premeditated, ambitious gesture at the end. What began in desperation as an earnest means to an end has evolved into a celebration of what we have learned and embraced in the past 24 months.

I did learn, also, that I appreciate the planning stage so much more the third time around. Kudos, again, to the same person I saluted in year one. Keep doing what you're doing, and thanks for the past 6 months -- I really needed it.

The other aspect of a change that I enjoyed is in regards to making these lofty plans. You have to be adaptable, and without being open-minded I never would have found myself delirious from lack of sleep coming up in the southwest wilderness singing "Circle of Life" while the sun rose. There aren't many people I could endure that nocturnal drive with, but I'm beyond ecstatic that I was with the Katman for that experience. Meow.

In this spot I feel like giving a shout-out to those excellent individuals (apart from myself) who made it to all three years: Earth Jesus Eddy, Nikita "The Master" Michelsen, Brando "The OG" Gillespie, and (No Longer Young) Fletch Krawczuk. You guys are basically Obi-Wan, Leia, C-3P0, and Luke (and I'm obviously Darth Vader because I'm evil af and look awesome with a bandana covering my face).

And another shout-out to those not yet mentioned: Jade, Danielle, Nate, Randi, ZP, Dog, Jon Snow, Daddy D, Mrs. Daddy D, and Justin(e). It takes dedication and courage to commit to flying or driving out into the middle of nowhere and finding something special. 

And know that this "something special" is undefinable. Some of you may feel differently about things than I do, but I'm supposed to be the writer. I'm supposed to find something to say about the indescribable. It's my job to attempt (even in a cliche, trite manner) to lend something concrete to the abstract and ethereal. 

Last but not least, a shout-out to those who came in the past or who will be joining us for irresponsible antics in the future. And if your name is Jason Brown, you need to stop reading and go do some push-ups.

Lend me courage, because I'm getting a tattoo this weekend,
ATM

1 comment: